Author Topic: The "Doctor Who" Thread  (Read 6985 times)

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The "Doctor Who" Thread
« on: January 26, 2013, 07:18:02 pm »

Inspired by the fact that our main page is showing me an advert for the Doctor Who Experience (finally, something relevant) I thought I'd post on the greatest television show of all time. Certainly its one of my huge influences, and I've been a fan since really the 7th Doctor played by Sylvester McCoy (now seen in "The Hobbit" don't you know...). It's influenced a lot of what I've done, alongside my passion for Hammer horror. Indeed, Doctor Who is really a kids early taste of horror in many of its guises and even today can be more terrifying for genuine suspense and scares than a lot of contemporary horror.

So here's to Doctor Who! ;) 

- Scarecrow

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The "Doctor Who" Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 11:27:13 pm »
I wouldn't say Dr. Who inspired me, but it did send me in the right direction. And did it scare me, when it first came out, the original first few episodes. I do have a recollection of what the back of the couch looked like.
Now if you want scary, the old stuff could be better. Take for example the Professor Quatermass series, that originally went to air in very late 1952. That was deemed unsuitable for the BBC to air, questions were spoken of it in the Houses of Parliament and it was decided it should be taken off the air, mind you it was soon put back on the BBC. Not because of public pressure, because the then brand new Queen Elizabeth (2) said she wanted to see how it ended.
And another snippit of useless information, about Hammer Studios (Bray) the alien flying machine in the War of the Worlds (Jeff Wayne's musical version) stage show was made there. The DVD of the Wembley arena performance is recommended. 

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:49 am »
I wouldn't say Dr. Who inspired me, but it did send me in the right direction. And did it scare me, when it first came out, the original first few episodes. I do have a recollection of what the back of the couch looked like.
Now if you want scary, the old stuff could be better. Take for example the Professor Quatermass series, that originally went to air in very late 1952. That was deemed unsuitable for the BBC to air, questions were spoken of it in the Houses of Parliament and it was decided it should be taken off the air, mind you it was soon put back on the BBC. Not because of public pressure, because the then brand new Queen Elizabeth (2) said she wanted to see how it ended.
And another snippit of useless information, about Hammer Studios (Bray) the alien flying machine in the War of the Worlds (Jeff Wayne's musical version) stage show was made there. The DVD of the Wembley arena performance is recommended.

Now that's a sureeal urban legend. As much as I'd love it to be true, alas, the Queen simply has no power or authority over anything such as this. The original Quatermas Experiment ran for six episodes that, as was standard for the day, were broadcast LIVE. This was a huge pressure at the time, but certainly there was no possibility of delay in that system. In fact, even early Doctor Who was essentially shot as live, usually a week before broadcast with maybe two or three cuts per episode.

- Scarecrow

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:23:59 pm »
I don't know how the Queen got the series put back on TV, I seriously doubt it was, ' By Royal Decree '.
More than likely it was a letter. Do you think the head of the BBC, or the speaker in the Houses of Parliament is going to say no to her?
I remember watching the third set of six, the one they made the film of, Quatermass and the Pit. Of how many actors fluffed their lines but had to keep going, or how many shadows a person could have.
As far as I am aware, the closest anyone has got to doing just the one take is Les Miserable.
Sections of the film were done as one take, as opposed to the possible ten or twenty takes. To get that 'certain' feeling from the actors, that stage play connection with the audience.

I have the first few episodes of Dr Who on DVD, the one where they are trying to get into a really big place that has no windows or doors.
On watching it one certain time, seeing them trying to get in, watching the male teacher trying each panel. A little voice in my head added the director shouting, 'Not that door you blithering idiot! That's the one that opens! Then the male teacher turns to the camera and it's Benny Hill'. I can't watch that bit anymore. 

That gave me an idea for you guys though, making a comedy 7 minute sketch of where the girl lives, the scrap yard type place.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 07:58:47 pm »

Second half of Series 7 starts 30th March, and will be fabulous. New trailer is up online! :) 

- Scarecrow

anything