Author Topic: Gabriel Cushing versus the Zombie Vampires  (Read 65891 times)

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gabriel Cushing versus the Zombie Vampires
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 11:36:05 pm »
Hey,

Thought the final episode, certainly the montage of zombie kills at the beginning at least, was probably the most cinematic bit of the whole series, so nice work there, and that scene also contained what I thought was the best bit music used in the whole sereies too.

I liked the zombie vampire Ben at the end, although it was pretty telegraphed by the fact that it wasn't revealed exactly what happened to him and there were no other living zombie vampires left, it had to be him.

His makeup aside, as thats already been discussed, I was a bit disappointed by the ancient vampire - I feel he turned out to be simply too easy to kill - maybe Gabriel's speeches finally wore him down?

Melanie and Lucinda did get to have a bit of a ruck, nice, but I felt Lucinda deserved a better finale - on her backside in a bath really wasn't very dignified and a bit of a let down - I was hoping for a long distance airborne staking, you know, a one in a million shot thrown from a nearly impossible angle (reckon that would have been Melanie, definitely not Gabriel!)

So, pros and cons;

Pros;

Some of the atmospheric camera work was good

The majority of the make up effects

Lucinda, she was totally over the top and bonkers, in a good way

Both Melanie and Lucinda's outfits - I've already perved over them far too much in previous posts so I'll leave it at that!

Cons;

Gabriel - I'm sorry, he was so inept I couldn't believe that he'd be able to pull off wiping out all the zombie vampires.

Ben - as a character he simply just got on my tits every nanosecond he was on screen.

The Ancient Vampire - went out with a whimper instead of a bang.

Inconsistency - early on these zombie vampires are taking people down, ripping out vital organs and generally being bad ass and not taking their time about.  Why would they not be like that with Gabriel and Ben, the most inept zombie vampire hunters ever?  Having made the zombie vampires fairly bad ass at the beginning, I think the script should have compensated and made Gabriel and Ben less inept - you'd have to convey the fact to the viewer that they are a much tougher proposition than the unsuspecting locals that the vampire zombies had previously dealt with so easily.  Unfortunately that doesn't happen and I feel Gabriel and Ben had no right to survive any of their skirmishes with the vampire zombies based on how it portrays their characters.

The sound - sadly, lots of dialogue in the more dramatic scenes towards the end of the series was inaudible.

So, overall, it was ambitious - I have to compliment the make up and special effects - considering the budget they are effective.  But I have issues with the characterisation and especially the dialogue.  I would really love to read the shooting script (from a filmmakers perspective I'd be very interested in seeing how it translated to what was on screen - if anyones got a version of it in PDF?) 

All in all, I think the positives outweigh the negatives, it is a step in the right direction and I look forward to what you produce next.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 12:05:50 am »

Certainly, would be possible to get the script up eventually. I think maybe it will be a future extra on the great escape site. We'll discuss it as a group, and hopefully something good shall come of it!

In terms of the group in Satan's Grove, certainly the idea was that they were 'playing' with Gabriel and Ben and toying with them before the kill. The fact that Melanie came at that point was just lucky for them!

One aspect I think was a shame we just lost for time was a few more traps in the montage. That is, we had a plan for them to dig a pit filled with stakes for a Zombie Vampire to fall into. Doing this material was a huge learning experience really, we now know how long that kind of effects heavy group work takes!

Shame Gabriel never won you round, perhaps it's just a personal taste? I also think Gabriel and Melanie both, following the loss of Ben, get a bit more grimly determined in their fighting back. On the other hand, maybe it's just Melanie's influence? I'd hoped Gabriel had learnt enough to know what to do and how to survive but it's fair if you personally never got that.

Certainly comments are not on deaf ears and are being taken into account when considering future stories, scripts and projects of all kinds. :) 

- Scarecrow

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:55 am »
If you can post the script at some point, would you be able to get a copy of the original script, and a copy of the script as it went to air.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 04:04:34 pm »

A portion of the script...

EXT. OLD WISP WOODS – WOODLAND INTERIOR – LATER – SCENE 5-6
The trio walk in single file. Suddenly Gabriel pauses, in the lead.

GABRIEL:
Quiet!

Everyone freezes, speaking in hush voices.

MELANIE:
What is it?

GABRIEL:
I thought I heard something.

They listen a moment.

Silence.

Gabriel nods.

GABRIEL:
Let's continue...

As he steps forwards a ZOMBIE VAMPIRE RAMBLER (ZVR#1) leaps out from the tree in front of him, a bloody fanged mess!

Gabriel staggers back, into Ben, knocking them both down. Another ZVR#2 jumps behind the group and the third appears, rushing towards Melanie. It grabs her and swings her round and to the ground some distance away. Gabriel and Ben stagger up to see Melanie run past them as ZVR#3 gives chase after her.

MELANIE:
Come on, run!

The other two stagger up, going to follow when ZVR#2 grabs Ben and goes to bite him. Gabriel hesitates back, grabbing a stake. He rushes up behind the creature and jams the stake in its back. There's a wet squishy sound.

GABRIEL:
Soft bodies! I was right!

ZVR#1 suddenly crashes into him, knocking him out of shot!

EXT. OLD WISP WOODS – WOODLAND GROVE – SCENE 5-7
Melanie has run some distance, and darts behind a tree. ZVR#3 isn't expecting her to suddenly lunge out again with a stake however! It strikes the shoulder however, missing the heart. Snarling, he grabs Melanie and shoves her back hard, to the ground.

As she hits the ground we see her box of matches fly up through the air.

ZVR#3 runs towards her... and then stops suddenly as matches rain down in front of him. He stops and glances down. And then goes as if to make a run at her, then seems frustrated. He glances from Melanie to the floor and then back again. And with a frustrating, bends down and starts picking up the matches, one by one, rummaging in the undergrowth.

Melanie stares at this a moment.

MELANIE:
You have got to be kidding me.

EXT. OLD WISP WOODS – WOODLAND INTERIOR – SCENE 5-8
Elsewhere ZVR#1 is uncertain whether to attack Ben or Gabriel. It hesitates at both. Running after one then the other.

EXT. OLD WISP WOODS – WOODLAND GROVE – SCENE 5-9
Returning to Melanie she holds her stake a she sidles round ZVR#3, trying to get behind him. She slowly edges forward as it picks up a few others, placing them into its hands. She raises the stake, as the creature suddenly turns.

This time she doesn't miss and plunges the stake into its heart. It cries out, collapsing back to the ground writhing. Melanie steps back, disgusted.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, for your guys, I am sure barely contained excitement, this is not the end of Gabriel Cushing's adventures...

- Scarecrow

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 10:40:29 am »

Not exactly video, but you may have noticed, we have a special preview of the upcoming Gabriel Cushing graphic novella on the site! :) 

- Scarecrow