Author Topic: Gabriel Cushing versus the Zombie Vampires  (Read 75707 times)

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gabriel Cushing versus the Zombie Vampires
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:21:50 pm »

www.gabrielcushing.com

www.facebook.com/gabrielcushingvsthezombievampires

This is the thread dedicated to our brand new web series that launches tomorrow with Episode 1 of an eight-part horror-adventure which sees the titular hero, Gabriel Cushing, battling the undead in the sleepy village of Little Easton.

Please let us know what you think here!

- Scarecrow

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gabriel Cushing versus the Zombie Vampires
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:39:19 am »

"Episode 2: Into the Woods" is now online"! Check it out!

- Scarecrow

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:40:46 pm »
Hi.
What country was episode 2 set in? The grass and the trees are a lush green, but the sky is blue! If it is set in England shouldn't it be raining, or that it has just rained, or that it is about to rain? At the very least there should be a grey cloud in the sky.

I have watched the episode a few times now, on a small screen it appears ok, but when it is displayed on a larger screen errors can be seen.

The cameramans curse. Doing a pan shot. Early in the ep there is a pan of the green field to a cottage, on a full screen the movement of the pan shot appears juttery.
Also some of the make up appears lacking, of the three girl vampires. There is a close up of a hand on a face, the hand didn't seem to have any make up on it.
A close up of a vampire girl (looking at them, the one on the right) her facial colouring seems to stop at her chin.

The series may be for normal consumers to watch, but there will be industry executives watching for up and coming talent. And it may well be those little things that they see.

Rich

• Puts the boom in your boomstick
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Great Escape
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:03:39 pm »
What country was episode 2 set in? The grass and the trees are a lush green, but the sky is blue! If it is set in England shouldn't it be raining, or that it has just rained, or that it is about to rain? At the very least there should be a grey cloud in the sky.

I don't know, the opening scene of episode 1 was pretty grey and overcast! :P In our defence, I think there was some rather freak weather happening over the summer - blue skies and glorious sunshine in England? Madness!

The cameramans curse. Doing a pan shot. Early in the ep there is a pan of the green field to a cottage, on a full screen the movement of the pan shot appears juttery.

Actually, I think that might be an issue with how YouTube handled the shot. On the original video, it was a really smooth pan... but strangely enough YouTube seems to judder as it pans across. Something to be aware of in future, I think!

Thanks for your comments though, they are much appreciated.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:25:05 pm »

"Episode 3: Night Terrors" is now online"! Check it out!

- Scarecrow

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:16:47 pm »
One of my pet hates in vampire films is the angle of the teeth marks on the victims neck. The girl said about it trying to bite her, then we see the two red lines on her neck. Is that where the thing tried to bite her, I hope not 'cos it'd be physically impossible at that angle.
Most vampire films try to add new stuff, like the sparkly skin in Twilight. Do yours have the ability of getting into a house uninvited, Lucinda did and of her causing reflections? But I did have a bit of a giggle at burying a zombie vampire at a crossroads.
Of the vampire films I've watched (DVD's) a lot of them have how the film was made, and some tips and tricks. One I noted was how to stop a reflection, Lucinda's reflection in the window when she was in the corner of the room, by having an outside light her reflection would have been cancelled out.

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:54:34 pm »
Liking episode three, although still want Ben to be torn limb from limb for being a complete dork. 

In response to Maidenscombe's comment, Gabriel didn't so much invite Lucinda in, as order her to get in the house, mistakenly taking her at face value as a victim, it was blatantly part of the deception. 

So, what next - good cliff-hanger ending, but while a I'm completely hoping that Lucinda shoves one of those books so far down his throat, that he'd need to stick his head up his own arse to ever read them again, I'm willing to bet either he is carrying something that will repel her at the vital moment, or worse still, dozy Ben will reappear and ward her off with an overpowering dose of camp dialogue!  :D

Rich

• Puts the boom in your boomstick
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Great Escape
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:40:10 am »
One of my pet hates in vampire films is the angle of the teeth marks on the victims neck. The girl said about it trying to bite her, then we see the two red lines on her neck. Is that where the thing tried to bite her, I hope not 'cos it'd be physically impossible at that angle.

It's meant to be more of a scratch than a bite mark.

Most vampire films try to add new stuff, like the sparkly skin in Twilight. Do yours have the ability of getting into a house uninvited, Lucinda did and of her causing reflections?

Gabriel sort of invited her in in the form of a demand, which was a bit of a mistake wasn't it? :P

As for reflections, we're trying to aim for a different take on vampires (hence the 'Zombie' in the name; they are rotten and ragged rather than neat and dapper, are visible in reflections, etc.) and follow more traditional legends of vampirism rather than them all being two-fang, Dracula-esque goths.

Again, thanks for your questions and queries - they are much appreciated!

Felek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • PZP Site
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 05:56:15 pm »

Not trying to use it as an excuse, but unfortunately its inherent to the frame rate of film/drama (24 or 25 fps). Pans are notoriously difficult to pull off well, and its an issue that both indie filmmakers, like ourselves, and hollywood productions share. As Rich says, YouTube's processing doesn't help either.

Felek Werpachowski
Jimmy Jib Operator
& Indie Cinematographer

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 01:02:18 am »
Rich, mysticjim,
you both say about Lucinda being told to go into the house, but that wasn't my point. It was mentioned earlier in that episode that it wasn't his house to invite her into.

And Rich, about the dress code of zombie vampires as opposed to vampires. I hadn't thought of it in that sense, so when you are preparing the clothes for filming, do you dig up a few rocks and chuck them into the washer with the clothes? As compared to, oh I don't know, washing powder?
So is Lucinda a zombie vampire? Cos her clothes are nice, and her skin colour is vampiresc.

Oh, and mysticjim,
about Lucinda shoving a book down Gabby Cushings throat, so far he'd have to shove his head up his arse to read it. Sorry! But he wouldn't need to shove his head up his own poop hole. You see he doesn't read the books as-such, it is more that he (tee hee) internalises the words on the page.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 05:51:44 pm »
Rich, mysticjim,
you both say about Lucinda being told to go into the house, but that wasn't my point. It was mentioned earlier in that episode that it wasn't his house to invite her into.

Well, leaving aside that some vampire myths do not use the invite thing at all, there's nothing inherent that suggests it *has* to be the owner of the property. Besides I think gabriel tends to take over places where he turns up!

And Rich, about the dress code of zombie vampires as opposed to vampires. I hadn't thought of it in that sense, so when you are preparing the clothes for filming, do you dig up a few rocks and chuck them into the washer with the clothes? As compared to, oh I don't know, washing powder?
So is Lucinda a zombie vampire? Cos her clothes are nice, and her skin colour is vampiresc.

Some of the costumes were certainly distressed but using more specific methods. Lucinda, being rather fresh, is less decayed than the Ancient Vampire who debuted proper in this episode. Lucinda's white make-up also helps conceal some of her less than fresh nature. ;)

Let's hope mysticjim is irritated by Melanie as we'll start to see more of her!

- Scarecrow

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 12:01:33 am »
About what vampires can and can't do was mainly included so that the church people of the time wouldn't be offended.
The invite people in originally (I believe) referred to the owners house being their private church. So if the owner is an atheist, it's an open house type situation.
With religious related way to kill a vampire, that created a beneficial side for the vampire stories, as there are several ways to kill one, the individual stands a chance. IE, don't invite them in, stand inside the door and make fun of them until the sun comes up. Anyone for a comedy? 
One of the reasons why zombies aren't as big a drawcard, killing them is just a case of lop their heads off and she'll be alright mate.

'Lucinda's white make up helps conceal some of her less than fresh nature'.
Good Grief! What a horrible thought! Are you saying she doesn't clean her teeth? Ye Gods!

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 09:41:54 pm »

"Gabriel Cushing versus the Zombie Vampires - Episode IV: Myths & Legends" has been released! Check it out!

- Scarecrow

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 09:23:43 pm »
See, enter Ben and his camp acting and Gabriel is saved.  At least he got a vampire knee in the happy sacks for it!  ;D 

So, finally we see some vampires doing some vampiring, although the joggers deserved it for those matching tracksuits, and the hikers deserved it for just being hikers!  Are we sure these vampires are evil or are they just ridding the village of dodgy extras!

And dammit, Lucinda, with the power of telekinesis, you choose to beat down Cushing with a book - you're in a kitchen for goodness sake, a place deemed to be statistically the most dangerous in any house, full of knives, pots, pans and all manner of sharp or heavy but generally potentially more offensive weaponry than a sodding book!  In truth, judging by the size of that fry-up that Gabriel was cooking in the morning, Lucinda doesn't really need to kill them herself, at that rate they'll both die from coronary heart disease due to high cholesterol levels! 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:45:22 pm by mysticjim »

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 09:33:56 pm »
See, enter Ben and his camp acting and Gabriel is saved.  At least he got a vampire knee in the happy sacks for it!  ;D 

So, finally we see some vampires doing some vampiring, although the joggers deserved it for those matching tracksuits, and the hikers deserved it for just being hikers!  Are we sure these vampires are evil or are they just ridding the village of dodgy extras!

The joggers might just be cameos froma  pair of the great escape production team. ;)  But certainly, they do seem to potentially doing a public service!

And dammit, Lucinda, with the power of telekinesis, you choose to beat down Cushing with a book

Now, to be fair it *is* a copy of one of the Twilight sequels. Seriously. Behind the scenes secrets! ;) 

- you're in a kitchen for goodness sake, a place deemed to be statistically the most dangerous in any house, full of knives, pots, pans and all manner of sharp or heavy but generally potentially more offensive weaponry than a sodding book!  In truth, judging by the size of that fry-up that Gabriel was cooking in the morning, Lucinda doesn't really need to kill them herself, at that rate they'll both die from coronary heart disease die high cholesterol levels!

I like to think of it as the "morning after the night before" scene. Gabriel's even got the jacket off! :p 

- Scarecrow