Author Topic: Its quiet here!  (Read 6321 times)

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
Its quiet here!
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:21:21 am »
Hey guys,

Haven't been around here much, seems really quiet at the moment.

Am quite liking the teaser trailer for Gabriel Cushing, looking forward to watching the first episode.

Having mixed success at the moment myself - my filming exploits have come to a dead stop, I can't get time with the remaining members of the band I'm trying to shoot this video for, its such a shame as my initial shoot went so well, my friend Jon - the bands singer was completely up for it, but the rest of the band are just completely non-committal. I'm thinking I might need to find myself a new band to become my pet video project.

The movie podcast is going slightly better, we're up to episode 5 now, episode 4 actually got over 75 downloads, which was quite incredible, but I'm assuming it was just a spike following on a from quite an intense bit of publicising that I'd been doing because Episode 5 hasn't pulled in anythig like that amount so far.  We do have our own website now though, www.crashandburnmoviepodcast.co.uk

Whats everyone else been up to?

Jim

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Its quiet here!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:19:45 am »
I'm still trying to make that 'perfect' recording of the 2J ghost train, I normally take two or three recordings of it per week, as soon the amount of dew at five am will cause the sound of the ghost train to be amplified and have an amplified echo.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:19:30 pm »

Good stuff, will check out the podcast asap!

We're all hectic here, gearing up for the release of the web series.

But hopefully this will be the next stage for thegreatescape team!

- Scarecrow

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:38:52 pm »
I will certainly do some work to push the web series, I've got facebook and twitter feeds for the podcast and my own blog, so I'll push it as best I can. 

Judging from the stills and the trailer, the production values look fairly good.  Not 100% convinced about the Gabriel Cushing character - but I'm narrowly judging that based purely on his appearance in the Carnivorous Coat film - I'm hoping the web series humanises/develops him a bit more - and gives me a bit more of character to root for. 

Had a bit of news in terms of my own filming project - the remaining members of the band have finally got back to me - looks like I'll be hijacking one of their upcoming rehearsals to shoot the remainder of the footage I need.  About bloody time.  They rehearse on a Monday evening, so it'll hopefully be happening in one of the next three Mondays, I'm waiting on them to confirm.

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 12:33:46 am »
Okay, so I've watched the first episode of Gabriel Cushing - overall I'm quite impressed, a few pros and cons;

Pros

The overall look is good, certainly more cinematic than the previous short films.

Liked the heart ripping and first vampire attack scene at the beginning.

Like the first look at the hoodie vampire, and that moving shot away from him across the front garden wall of the cottage was really good, the contrast in the colours was pretty cool.

Cons

The performances in terms of reacting, etc, in that opening scene were good, but I didn't much dig the dialogue. 

Didn't think a lot of the initial dialogue between Gabriel and Ben, the Starwars and X-Files references are very cheesy and the delivery not very convincing.  Its a tough ask of a short web series, which I'll imagine was shot under incredible time pressure, so it might be that I'm looking for chemistry between the characters that they simply haven't had time to develop - so if I'm being harsh, I apologise.

Finally, hmmm, still not sold on Cushing as a character.  He dresses like he works for a bank, and has this almost effeminate tone of phrase - I just don't see him as a badass demon killer at all.  The Ben character does look the part a little more, but seems to have the vocabulary of a teenage sci-fi convention fanboy whose had the benefit of private schooling. 

All that aside, because I'm familiar with the Cushing character from Carnivorous Coat, I'm intrigued as to where the story will go and if the character develops through the series, and I'm interested as to whether following him through his journey will enamour me to him any more or not.  I'm also looking forward to the horror set pieces that probably lie in wait.  I hope the story and character development go hand in hand with the visuals, but in terms of purely the visuals - the heart ripping scene already probably tops my previous favourite - the deep fried hand in Carnivorous Coat.

Bring on the next one!

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 01:44:09 am »
Of those monsters, what were they originally? Were they vampires that were attacked by zombies? Or were they zombies who were attacked by a vampire? Is there a story in that?
I prefer the first short, even though I don't go much on the wiccan creed. That seemed to have more implied atmosphere.
As I have mentioned in a PM to Rich, the wording of the script infers something other than what is said. Also, like you mysticjim, I have certain opinions about the character of the demon hunter, although my attention was of the actor himself.

Overall though, it is certainly an improvement on the other shorts that have been done.   

Rich

• Puts the boom in your boomstick
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Great Escape
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 09:33:40 am »
Finally, hmmm, still not sold on Cushing as a character.  He dresses like he works for a bank, and has this almost effeminate tone of phrase - I just don't see him as a badass demon killer at all.  The Ben character does look the part a little more, but seems to have the vocabulary of a teenage sci-fi convention fanboy whose had the benefit of private schooling.

Personally, I feel Gabriel Cushing was never intended to be a badass - he is a scholar who spent all his life trying to learn about demons and attempt to destroy Ka, who terrorized his family for generations. [spoiler]Since he destroyed it, Gabriel's come to realise that hunting demons is all he knows, and that he wants to stop them.[/spoiler]

Ben Romanov, as you've figured out, is a bit of a lonely soul who spends all his time watching sci-fi movies and dreaming that one day something awesome would happen in the little village he's stuck in... after all, he was the one who reported the story to the 'National Enquirer'-esque newspaper so you can understand he's a little bit giddy that a demon hunter has just rocked up on his doorstep as a result of his actions.

Glad you liked it, hopefully you'll tune into the rest of the series soon!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:13:30 am by Rich »

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:10:08 pm »
Hi Rich, without doubt I'll follow it, and I've already publicised it a few times on my blog and in the forthcoming podcast.

For any criticisms I have, I'm also envious of the fact that you guys have reached the stage you're at with your film making.  For the amount of work you all must have and probably still are putting in, the number of people involved, its pretty impressive.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 02:48:35 pm »
Hi Rich, without doubt I'll follow it, and I've already publicised it a few times on my blog and in the forthcoming podcast.

For any criticisms I have, I'm also envious of the fact that you guys have reached the stage you're at with your film making.  For the amount of work you all must have and probably still are putting in, the number of people involved, its pretty impressive.

No worries here, and everyone has different tastes and the like. It's a point of pride that most people have different criticisms, which to my mind reflects different opinions. if everyone said the same thing, then I'd be worried about the content itself!

Looking forward to the podcast!

- Scarecrow

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 06:46:53 pm »
Hi guys

Firstly, apologies, latest episode of my podcast was late to be uploaded because I was so full of colds and flu, I was late recording it, editing it and finally putting it up on the site.  Alas, in my bleary eyed state when we were recording, I failed to plug Gabriel Cushing - sorry, I'll ensure to plug it for our 7 or so listeners next episode!  But I'll make sure I plug it more on my blog and the podcast website.

Anyway, Ep2 - hmmm.  Again, I'm loving some of the filming, really impressed with the costumes and make-up of the vampires.  But also again, still not buying the dialogue and interplay between Gabriel and Ben.  I get Gabriel's academic nature, his fairly blasé, almost dismissive way he talks about hunting demons is typical of an academic type - I should know, I work at a major UK University, we got loads of guys like that.  But the actual, physical act of hunting demons, or in this case, bizarre hybrid zombie vampires, I'm sorry - he comes across as someone a bit inept - when faced with a situation he looks like he has no clue what to do.  One wonders if he ever came against a genuinely nasty adversary, i.e. - one with a better plan of attack than the Chav zombie vampire.  I'm kind of guessing that at some point he will have a violent confrontation with Marley Hamilton's character - now, in my world there is no doubt that she should be able rip his spine out and tap dance on his skull before he's even had chance to pull his standard fear-tinged, but slightly camp looking facial expression, but I'm willing to bet that doesn't happen!

Ah well! Looks like I'm rooting for the vampires in this one!

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 10:52:56 pm »
mysticjim,
I hear what you are saying about his self confidence and experience in dealing with dead folk.
Thing there has been a lot of TV stuff that have the main character who is not fully conversant in the ways of killing dead people, they often need other folk to tell them what they are, what history they have, also the most effective way of killing them. That scenario tends to promote a longer, more indepth story.
A killer of demons who knows what he is doing and has a lot of self confidence will go in, and it'll be a wham-bam-you're dead-mam kinda thing. But you'll see little character change, and very little build up to each kill.
I.E.
A situation in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a cadre of vamps needed to be dealt with.
Buffy would have taken a while, what with friends, her watcher telling her stuff: a build up in the story. (time taken in the episode)
But what happened because Buffy was injured? Riley threw in a hand grenade.
It was even boring writing it.
Character development is good, and by the last episode he may well be the Van Helsing of Zombie Vampires (or the Eddie Van Helsig)   

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 10:45:37 pm »
Hi guys

Firstly, apologies, latest episode of my podcast was late to be uploaded because I was so full of colds and flu, I was late recording it, editing it and finally putting it up on the site.  Alas, in my bleary eyed state when we were recording, I failed to plug Gabriel Cushing - sorry, I'll ensure to plug it for our 7 or so listeners next episode!  But I'll make sure I plug it more on my blog and the podcast website.

Anyway, Ep2 - hmmm.  Again, I'm loving some of the filming, really impressed with the costumes and make-up of the vampires.  But also again, still not buying the dialogue and interplay between Gabriel and Ben.  I get Gabriel's academic nature, his fairly blasé, almost dismissive way he talks about hunting demons is typical of an academic type - I should know, I work at a major UK University, we got loads of guys like that.  But the actual, physical act of hunting demons, or in this case, bizarre hybrid zombie vampires, I'm sorry - he comes across as someone a bit inept - when faced with a situation he looks like he has no clue what to do.  One wonders if he ever came against a genuinely nasty adversary, i.e. - one with a better plan of attack than the Chav zombie vampire.  I'm kind of guessing that at some point he will have a violent confrontation with Marley Hamilton's character - now, in my world there is no doubt that she should be able rip his spine out and tap dance on his skull before he's even had chance to pull his standard fear-tinged, but slightly camp looking facial expression, but I'm willing to bet that doesn't happen!

Ah well! Looks like I'm rooting for the vampires in this one!

Each to their own I'd guess! We'll still thank you for your continued support, and hope maybe your mind may change as the series rolls on! ;)  Could I ask though, what is it in the character interplay you're not getting into? Just interested in what aspects it is.

As for how David and Marley will interact - well, we'll just have to wait and see. But certainly, Zombie Vampires are something new to Gabriel, he's a little outside his field of expertise (being more generally demonic possession and  folklore) but we'll see how quickly he picks things up!

- Scarecrow

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 09:42:08 pm »
Hi Scarerow,

I don't know exactly, its hard to quantify.  Their dialogue seems so, I don't know, I want to say 'laboured' - I'm not getting much chemistry from their talking scenes together.  Ben just comes across almost like Gabriel's little, obedient lapdog. 

Right now, I'm hoping that Ben gets slaughtered by zombies early on - replace him with Melanie as his sidekick, just to see if they have a more convincing dynamic on screen together.

All the same, for my quips at the dynamic of those two characters, I really am liking the look of the show, and as I said, the costumes and makeup are wicked.  And now Marley Hamilton's character has gone full-goth-on-amphetamines, I have much higher hopes!

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 10:52:29 pm »
Hi Scarerow,

I don't know exactly, its hard to quantify.  Their dialogue seems so, I don't know, I want to say 'laboured' - I'm not getting much chemistry from their talking scenes together.  Ben just comes across almost like Gabriel's little, obedient lapdog. 

That's fair enough - although I would say that that is somewhat how Ben needs to appear so, from my point of view, at least, it's been successful in getting that across!

Right now, I'm hoping that Ben gets slaughtered by zombies early on - replace him with Melanie as his sidekick, just to see if they have a more convincing dynamic on screen together.

We'll get to see some more of Melanie as we jump right into Episode 3! :)

All the same, for my quips at the dynamic of those two characters, I really am liking the look of the show, and as I said, the costumes and makeup are wicked.  And now Marley Hamilton's character has gone full-goth-on-amphetamines, I have much higher hopes!

Love the description for Lucinda (I'm aware we only name her in the credits thus far!) - again, very much what we wanted to get across. Glad you're loving the look, I think everyone put so much effort in and there's been some amazing make-up work from the team! :) 

- Scarecrow

Rich

• Puts the boom in your boomstick
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Great Escape
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 02:51:38 pm »
But the actual, physical act of hunting demons, or in this case, bizarre hybrid zombie vampires, I'm sorry - he comes across as someone a bit inept - when faced with a situation he looks like he has no clue what to do.  One wonders if he ever came against a genuinely nasty adversary, i.e. - one with a better plan of attack than the Chav zombie vampire.

Well, in his defence the worst he's had to face prior to this was fabric - so I reckon he's realised by now he's bit off more than he can chew!