Author Topic: Terror Of The Killer Carnivorous Coat  (Read 11639 times)

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Terror Of The Killer Carnivorous Coat
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 10:20:48 am »
In what way would it look terribly squashed? One reason for trying to get the right look, is to completely avoid using digital effects.
I can't imagine how it could be done with a single camera, unless one is developed that has horizontal picture size controls, with a curved edge.

Well, if you're watching a image obviously it's on a single screen, and so if you use two cameras, each camera picking up a full screens worth of material, then to put two camera worth in one image, surely they'd have to be squashes together and it'd have to be digitally done anyway.

Plus in almost all film anyway, a single camera is used to represent POV in most cases, and in some older cases, often with a blanking or shape effect if they want to create a specific style of image (such as looking through binoculars or a telescope).

- Scarecrow

Rich

• Puts the boom in your boomstick
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Great Escape
Re: Terror Of The Killer Carnivorous Coat
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »
To be honest, with the proliferation of dual camera mounts for 3D filmaking, I see no reason to use 'el-cheapo' cameras 'stuck together with tape' to create the desired effect.

It would be quite easy to film what you want using lenses with a slight fish-eye to achieve a 'through-the-eye' effect, but I feel it is taking it to the extreme to physically shut off the camera to simulate 'blinking' especially as the effect would look better by filming non-stop and adding the 'blinking' in post-production, especially by using a horizontal wipe that starts rounded, is flat at the centre of the wipe and rounded at the bottom, imitating the effect of the closing of the eyelid over the eye.

I'm guessing the point of the exercise is to recreate the 3D effect from the eye (seeing an object from 2 slightly different angles) without going through the process of 3D screens and whatnot - essentially putting the two images side-by-side on the screen, possibly with a visual effect akin to the view through the eye. However, such a thing may prove to be disappointing as the angled effect would seem quite minor on the screen and may have greater impact as a true 3D image.

Still, very interesting idea. Thanks for sharing it.