Author Topic: Terror Of The Killer Carnivorous Coat  (Read 11573 times)

Rich

• Puts the boom in your boomstick
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Great Escape
Terror Of The Killer Carnivorous Coat
« on: December 09, 2011, 12:31:06 am »
"A group of friends struggle for survival as they are faced with the ancient, demonic evil of... the killer carnivorous coat."

http://thegreatesc.com/content/video/1119/terror-of-the-killer-carnivorous-coat

Discuss what you think here.

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Terror Of The Killer Carnivorous Coat
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:09:22 am »
Interesting! Was quite surprised to see such a departure from the previous films posted, both in terms of duration and concept.

Standout moment has to be the deep fried hand scene, that was clever, funny and gory - that worked a treat. 

Overall though, don't know what this film wants to be, it isn't really horrific enough to be a horror, nor is comedic enough to be a comedy, despite having a couple of funny moments.

From a creative point of view, I think I struggled with the concept of a carnivorous demon living in a coat, again - it would have to be so totally blood-thirsty in order to make me suspend belief enough, or so side-splittingly hilarious that it could be enjoyed purely as a tongue in cheek comedy.  I felt it fell a bit short on both.

Production-wise, I quite liked some of the shots and the cutting/editing was quite dynamic - but I felt in terms of effects it rather blew its bolt too early with the fried hand in the fish'n'chip shop scene, everything after that lacked a bit of impact, sadly the knitting needle in the neck and the host's bloody death scene were a bit of an anti-climax.  Perhaps some of the deaths could have done with more build-up, tension and drama, but I guess there has to be a limited with what you can do to make a coat scary?

The acting ranged from convincing to a little bit hammy in places, I think the number of characters in the film didn't help, it always seemed like it was a rush to introduce them and give them some semblance of substance before their inevitable demises at the hands(or would it be sleeves??!) of the demonic coat!

Overall though, I'm very impressed with the ambition of the project, I don't know if its all the film-makers wanted it to be, but its certainly well advanced of any project I've been connected with.  Even shooting a 5 minute short can be hectic and require a disproportionate amount of planning and editing, this must have been a marathon effort, and its a commendable one at that.

Nice work.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 03:19:31 pm »

Thanks! And I have to say, I agree with much of what you say. To give some context, this particular film was shot over two years ago, over a four day Easter weekend. In which we pretty much did everything with no time, no money and no sleep! Obviously, the final product is what stands, but I'm very happy actually to hear that you enjoyed it despite the issues, and that most of what you mention are things I feel the same way about.

i guess my main disagreement, would be on the horror/comedy balance. I think it is more, because I was aiming for a Hammer Horror feel, like classic late 60's British horror (maybe Hammer House of Horror tv show?), it was about getting that sense of subtle absurd humour by it all being utterly ridiculous yet played straight.

That said, different tastes for everyone!

Really appreciate the review, and I hope you'll be impressed by what we did this Summer gone when it comes out, because in terms of quality and structure I think it blows our first attempt out of the water. Thanks again and all the best!

- Scarecrow

Felek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • PZP Site
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:15:23 pm »
To give some context, this particular film was shot over two years ago, over a four day Easter weekend.

Indeed, it really isn't an indication of the standard we're at now, despite it only just being released.

Felek Werpachowski
Jimmy Jib Operator
& Indie Cinematographer

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:13:14 pm »
Hi guys,

Am very interested to see what you guys have been up to recently, looking forward to it.

So, whats the background to Carnivorous Coat?  I'm assuming the two year delay in putting it out was due to editing time?  Or did you get waylaid with your new projects? 

And why a coat?  8)

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:08:31 pm »
Hi guys,

Am very interested to see what you guys have been up to recently, looking forward to it.

So, whats the background to Carnivorous Coat?  I'm assuming the two year delay in putting it out was due to editing time?  Or did you get waylaid with your new projects? 

And why a coat?  8)

More importantly, why not a coat? ;)   The coat came out of random discussions years ago... I think we were still teenagers! indeed, we attempted this first long before, with stupidly little planning and with another script in place... which was vastly different! In re-writing when we felt we could do it seriously (!) , I created Gabriel Cushing really as a way of getting straight into the concept of a demonically possessed item of clothing.

After filming we got right into editing, but of course, footage needed to be captured, we had other commitments, and it took some time, but was edited in roughly a year. However, sound and music needed doing. And here we sort of caught up with ourselves. Rich was very busy at the time, we did a couple of shorts for contests. We knew we could do better with better equipment, capturing and transferring files had problems. Eventually, it came to the point where we wanted it to be the bets it could be, and so we needed the best equipment. By the time we had all that thegreatestc was born as an idea. We chose to delay Kilelr  Coat to get this website and everything up and running - so we'd have somewhere to discuss it / put it! Then filming the new project came up...

Lots of delays but all to the films advantage! And ours, I think. We've moved on to HD, better skills, better effects, more (but still not enough) time and hopefully people will enjoy what we'll produce!

- Scarecrow

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 09:02:29 pm »
How was the camera mounted, or was it hand held?
During the first few minutes I noticed several times that the camera seemed to go to far when panning an area, then it was corrected. Most of the scenes at the start had camera shake.
That extra movement of the camera can deter folk from watching the whole film, it can make the viewers subconscious concentrate on the filming and not the film.

Felek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • PZP Site
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:59:03 pm »
How was the camera mounted, or was it hand held?
During the first few minutes I noticed several times that the camera seemed to go to far when panning an area, then it was corrected. Most of the scenes at the start had camera shake.
That extra movement of the camera can deter folk from watching the whole film, it can make the viewers subconscious concentrate on the filming and not the film.

During the film, we used tripod mounted, handheld and also jib-mounted shots.

Generally, the handheld shots are used to give a more unsettling and more dynamic view of a scene and suit this type of film. As with everything, things are used where appropriate...I'm sure if we were doing a period costume drama, things would be different! I understand the crane shots were pretty inaccurate.. it was one of my first times using it.

Its difficult for me to say anything about the film without it sounding like an excuse, but from my point of view, the film served more use as a training experience rather than for the finished product. I think everyone who worked on it agrees they'd do things so much differently now...its a little hard to explain decisions from nearly 3 years ago when we've moved on so much since.

Hopefully Gabriel Cushing Versus The Zombie Vampires will showcase the standard we were at this summer (due to be released mid 2012). Although again, it will be about a year between shooting and release, and I'm sure we would have progressed more by then.

There should be a couple of shorts (with short turnaround) released before then hopefully.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:04:07 am by Felek »

Felek Werpachowski
Jimmy Jib Operator
& Indie Cinematographer

Romanov

• Great Escape Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 10:38:35 am »
There should be a couple of shorts (with short turnaround) released before then hopefully.

Killer carnivorous shorts?

Felek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • PZP Site
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 07:18:48 pm »

Killer carnivorous shorts?

Not as far as I'm aware.

Felek Werpachowski
Jimmy Jib Operator
& Indie Cinematographer

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 10:26:45 pm »
Felek,
have you ever tried working with two camera's stuck together? Take that to mean taped together.
To get the view as a pair of eyes, as an animal walking/ stalking through a forest.
I have found the best results gained are by having the camera's at slightly offset angles, that way when one is turned off the resultant effect is similar to closing an eye. The end result can add a realism, dependant on the post production team.

Also, when trying to work out how to get a smooth level finish to shots that go from point A to point B, it has been suggested that instead of buying equipment which usually costs a fortune, getting rails from a miniature railway enthusiast can be beneficial to you and them.   

Felek

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • PZP Site
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 11:16:03 pm »
Felek,
have you ever tried working with two camera's stuck together? Take that to mean taped together.
To get the view as a pair of eyes, as an animal walking/ stalking through a forest.
I have found the best results gained are by having the camera's at slightly offset angles, that way when one is turned off the resultant effect is similar to closing an eye. The end result can add a realism, dependant on the post production team.

Have to admit I've never heard of that, the only double camera system I've heard of is stereoscopic systems for 3D films.

Personally I'm keen on sticking with industry-standard single camera/2D systems for the near future, not just because of the money involved, but because I'd rather concentrate on areas of image creation that I personally think are more important.

Also, when trying to work out how to get a smooth level finish to shots that go from point A to point B, it has been suggested that instead of buying equipment which usually costs a fortune, getting rails from a miniature railway enthusiast can be beneficial to you and them.

We will be looking into into dolly systems for future productions. During pre-production (for Zombie Vampires), we took into account the equipment we had and worked with that. We generally use the Jib as our tool for high movement shots and its produced some good results.

There's a long list of things we're looking to sort, but yeah I agree that a dolly/rail system would be useful. I'm not sure that the cameras we'd be looking to work with (5-10kg, large size) would be suitable on a miniature railway... I guess it might do for someone shooting on a GoPro/similar.

Felek Werpachowski
Jimmy Jib Operator
& Indie Cinematographer

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 12:02:41 pm »
Felek,
I wasn't thinking of 3D, just getting the feel of an animal (werewolf) tracking it next victim. Turning off a camera to get the closing one eye effect. Using el cheapo camera's to get the angle's right, as decent camera's tend to have buttons in all the wrong places.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 03:25:53 pm »

Wouldn't that look terribly squashed on screen? You'd need to do some digital effects at any rate, and mostly people are likely to create the same effect with a single camera, I think.

- Scarecrow

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 07:47:05 pm »
In what way would it look terribly squashed? One reason for trying to get the right look, is to completely avoid using digital effects.
I can't imagine how it could be done with a single camera, unless one is developed that has horizontal picture size controls, with a curved edge.

anything