Author Topic: Okay, assume vampires and zombies have been done to death in movies, whats next?  (Read 9182 times)

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
Well, thread title sums it up, really.  Don't know if anyone agrees with me, but I'm of the mind that vampires in movies are now so mainstream that they've kind of lost their frightening edge, and even my personal preference in horror, the humble zombie, appears to be heading that way too - (I suspect that if World War Z makes an impact at the box office next year then hollywood will do what it always does when a fad suddenly becomes marketable, they'll throw shedloads of dosh at an increasingly bad line of zombie clones, sequels and remakes, until they suffer saturation, much like the vampire genre is suffering at the moment.) 

So, with those two classic cinema horror icons removed from the equation, what do we all think we come flying out of left-field to re-define horror for the next generation?

I was impressed with how Paranormal Activity brought the ghost story back into focus, even if they aped the Blair Witch model - although the whole 'found footage' concept is one that still seems fresh and relevant  to me, seeing as how nearly everyone has the ability to shoot video with ease these days, using cheap camcorders, webcams or mobile phones - maybe its a case of introducing new horror villans or monsters(like Cloverfield, for example) into the found footage genre?

The standard ghostly shocker has made something of a comeback recently, successful enough to make money in hollywood, yet not setting box office records - I'm talking things like Drag Me to Hell, The Haunting in Connecticut and Insidious, but seriously, these all seem a bit tame compared to fillms like The Ring and the Grudge(ideally the original Japanese versions, not the remakes.) 

The creature feature feels a bit stale too, I did enjoy the aforementioned Cloverfield, but I thought the Creature istelf looked a bit naff, to be honest!  The good ole SciFi channel churns out bad creature features, but nothing has really caught my attention at the cinema recently.

Witches, by virtue of the fact that they don't seem to get too much coverage, seem to be able retain their popularity - although I thought Season of the Witch sucked in a big way. 

Werewolves are another one that don't don't seem to hang on to any long term appeal, the recent remake of The Wolfman was bloody awful, and although they're pretty cool in the Underworld films, those films are squarely vampire as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe the lycan just doesn't have the legs to support a film of its own?

So what are we left with, non-zombie cannibals - possibly infected with a virus a la 28 days later or just plain crazy - like the Crazies, devils/demons and demonic possession(a genre still living in the shadow of the Exorcist and the Omen), fallen angels, other gruesome parasites? 

What will rise up to scare the b'jesus out pf everyone for a short while, until hollywood turns it into the next big budget quadrillogy!?

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
Ignoring the stuff about The Blair Witch Project, that film was so badly made. And no, I don't think it had anything to do with a real event, the disclaimer at the end of the film says so.
I've been writing a script about doppelgangers, the person's doppelganger was having a walk-about when the person died. The person becomes a ghost and they both have the ability to be non-corporeal and corporeal, and like all people they can be good or evil depending on their current whim. The minor problem is finding a producer who likes the idea.
Then there's the aliens who were first known as the Sumerians and on their next visit to earth they were known as the Druids.
I've am also trying to write a book that has the four horsemen of ther apocalypse as the good guys. I got that idea from the bible, as the rider of the white horse (famine), in some religions was said to be Jesus Christ. And in Tarot cards, an upside down Death card only refers to change.
Then there's the script about the original vampires, who when in the sunlight appear as a skeleton, hence the vampires being referred to as, the un-dead.

Yep, I've been thinking about what is next as well.

In Season of the Witch, I liked seeing the eyes of the witch, how she seemed to give life to what she was doing.     

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
Got to dispute Blair Witch, I know it tends to divide opinion, but I really enjoyed it, at the time it seemed quite revolutionary.  After the endless stream of video nasties from the 80's, a horror film that relied on something that you didn't see to be scary was refreshing, as the whole found footage method of film making, when executed well, is very convincing.  I knew full well it was a work of fiction, but the producers also produced an exceptionally detailed book to accompany the movie, and I think the two combined actually fooled a lot of people.

As for Season of the Witch, good concept, very good sfx and visuals, but terrible casting and hopeless plot design.  Evidently it was given the green light as a star vehicle, presumably the fact that Nicholas Cage and Ron Perlman were signed up was what got the majority of its investment, but seriously, who in their right mind would consider casting them as two European knights of the Crusades?  All sorts of things annoyed me about this film; the sheer amount of liberties taken with history, Crusaders with brash American accents???? What!  And apparently, if you leave the Crusades, as they did, a short montage later and amazingly you leave the Middle East and appear in what looks more like Middle earth, where everyone else either speaks the Queens English or is a cockney! 

Anyway, some interesting script ideas you're working on there, like the embedded aliens idea, a bit similar to the way Stargate suggested that Aliens had influenced/designed Egyptian stylings. 

I've got lots of ideas in various states of development, but having an inkling of what will capture the imagination is tricky, will it be something almost entirely new or will it be a variation on an old favorite?  Being able to fathom it out is pretty much the holy grail of horror writing, I think.

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
Yep, I've got to agree with you, doing something that captures others imagination is hard, at the moment I'm playing about with mixing fairy tale people and creatures of the horror genre.
My favourite is the pied piper leading children and adults to a secret cave. When all is ready he will lead them to fight the vampires. The thing about him and them is... they are all werewolves, that is why he took them. Thing is getting the tune that he played on the flute to keep them following him.
How about the werewolves and vampires are about to do battle when they are both attacked by aliens?
Of course, then there's the minor job of filming it and finding the funding.

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
The Pied Piper, Vampires and Werewolves, then an Alien invasion...Don't know about funding to produce, but where on earth would you find someone mad enough to direct it? :o

Rich

• Puts the boom in your boomstick
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Great Escape
I agree: funding for such an endeavour will be tight - but I'm sure that The Asylum would be interested!

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
Getting funding will be relatively easy, getting a producer is the hard part. How many people have contacted a producer to see if they want to see a synopsis, but have never had a reply.
Do producers know how to reply?
Is this a reason why many folk try to make their own films?

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Getting funding will be relatively easy, getting a producer is the hard part. How many people have contacted a producer to see if they want to see a synopsis, but have never had a reply.
Do producers know how to reply?
Is this a reason why many folk try to make their own films?

Well, producers predominantly are the ones *with* the funding. Often they don;t want to see a synopsis - a full script is the *least* they'd want and usually not just sent without a full explanation, or meeting or some form of background information.

- Scarecrow

Rich

• Puts the boom in your boomstick
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Great Escape
Well, producers predominantly are the ones *with* the funding. Often they don;t want to see a synopsis - a full script is the *least* they'd want and usually not just sent without a full explanation, or meeting or some form of background information.

Yep - pretty much.

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
I think I have come up with what is a new 'monster'. Well, I hope I have.
Best part of it is, the 'monster' a future possibilty of human development.
Deliberately created by NASA to survive on another planet, and by that I mean genetically modifying humans. And having them be acceptable to be seen by humans as human.
What is happening at present is that NASA are developing ways for humans to survive for extended space flight times to distant planets, how to survive the suns constant radiation (as a cockroach does). For the skin or an astronauts suit to be similar to wet-suits in appearance.
Relating that to be slightly scary, acceptible and believable is the hard part, yet it could be fun to write.   

anything