Fiction > Writer's Discussion

Of Kal-na, Ka-im and Vixana

<< < (3/3)

Maidenscombe:

that what was done I did with another, with you. It is just that for those thousands of years I have worked alone. Together or alone I don’t think he will mind, and should I choose one of his army or one of his children I think he’ll be glad,” said Kal-na.
     “I do need to ask this, I want to know this, doesn’t he mind if you refer to him as boss?” asked Ka-im.
     “If I add a smile or a cheeky grin as long as I give him what he wants, then no. If those people in there heard that they’d have a fit, but that’s the thing about our boss, underneath all the huff and puff he is nice being.”
Knowing they now had respect for each other, they walked a bit further; in silence until Kal-na stopped.
     “Now I know what they plan, I will always be ready to hear what they say, so no army of vampires will be. Know this Ka-im, should I ever need to talk to any of those here I will only talk to them with you,” said Kal-na.
His winged black unicorn appeared, he climbed up on to it. About to fly away, he stopped, he became deep in thought, and looked to Ka-im.
     “Of those in there, as you implied, they rely heavily on trust. That being so, they need to act on this the other who they felt in the painting, they thought it Claere. You should tell them to look at he who married Alison. Think of the word traitor.”
Kal-na was gone.
     Ka-im walked back into the Manor, wanting to see Peter, looking in the rooms until she found him she went and stood a few feet in front of him, she looked to him but stayed quiet.
Peter Featheringue couldn’t ignore her.
     “What is it that you have to say?” he asked.
     “I just saw Kal-na, we spoke, he was in her unusually good mood, she said of Alison’s husband Henry. That he is working for the Gestapo, though Kal-na used the word traitor. I sensed a feeling from Kal-na that the husband was making a copy of the painting.”
Peter rang then spoke to Detective Rathbone.
     “I’d appreciate it if you’d come to the office right now, but don’t tell anyone.”
In no more than a minute he walked in, he greeted Ka-im.
     “Kaim has just said that according to Kal-na Alison’s husband might be Gestapo, that he is a traitor.” Det. Rathbone smiled.
     “Good, I’m glad, that makes sense, the officer who told me about him he led me to believe that something was wrong. Admittedly we thought him responsible for his wife being missing.”
     “If Det. Moore picks him up I’d ask he be brought here,” said Ka-im.
     “No, being here he might learn too much I would suggest another place, somewhere secure and miles from anywhere. And I know just the place, a cell in Dartmoor prison it is in the middle of nowhere, a bleak terrain, with nowhere for him to escape to.”
     “And after we get what we can from him? I’d suggest we let Ka-im’s people ask him the real reason for all of that occult.”
     “I like the sound of that, what of you Ka-im?” asked Det. Rathbone.
     “No, there is ne need, I know that Kal-na already knows and if he knows, we will be told soon,” said Ka-im.   
     One of a formation of sixteen German bombers was hit by a barrage of anti-aircraft fire as it flew over the south eastern edge of the city while heading for the Bristol docks. Not being able to
make a turn for the final bombing run it broke formation and dropped its bombs. With its tail rudder hit, the directional control was almost completely lost. The bomber began to slowly turn north then towards the south. It had to try and weave its way home, it managed to fly to the south of the City of Oxford. The pilot had to be careful; wanting to stay unseen he had to strictly adhere to the flight plan set by the navigator.
     Avoiding the main cities and where the known gun batteries were the plane was hit again. This time though the pilot But it was hit again as it flew over a gun emplacement that wasn’t known of. The bomber was forced to crash land in a field. Luckily though the pilot was able to give the crew enough warning to escape before the crash; its wreckage being spread all over a field.
     The crew ran and hid beside a hedge. The navigator told them he had gained a fix on where they were and which way they should go to escape. He pointed to a glow on the horizon.
     “First we go there, towards that village, that is Avebury.”
The pilot suggested they steal a car, to get as far as they could at night. But crossing the fields toward the glow, though they didn’t know, they had begun to be watched. A policeman from the village of Avebury had been making his rounds making sure all was well. PC Dawes was riding his bicycle on country lanes, to quietly go to and make sure the outlying farms were safe.
Hearing the sounds of the bomber overhead he followed it as far as he could, when he heard the sound of crash he left his bicycle in a lane and followed the sounds then he proceeded to where the crew had gone. He reported his progress to the Station when he could and asked for help. He kept close to the verge as he crept along the country lanes. He met the three other policemen waiting for him, they were sat at a junction trying to keep warm.
     “Is this anything to do with the bombers that flew over here an hour ago?” asked PC Long, 
“I heard that it was one of them heading back as it was hit by one of our ack ack gun as they approached Bristol.”
     “I hope it is, now I’ll have the chance to do something that’ll help,” said PC Bearing.
     “You will? With just the four of us, unarmed against them, an armed bomber crew,” said PC Dawes, “It’ll need more than just the four of us. I was told to follow them, to report on where they are so when the army get here they can get them.”
The policemen followed the bomber crew over and through hedges towards the village of Avebury. The policemen kept getting closer despite not trying to, they hoped that more help would arrive soon.
Unknown to them the army were in place, just beyond the Avebury stones. The station Sergeant had arrived with five other policemen, his orders were to guide the airmen through the stones, to keep the people of the village safe.
     Flying high above them, Ka-im looked down to the invaders, she saw they were getting too close to the stones. Ka-im knew if it came to it, she would have to stop them, but she hoped she didn’t have to as to let herself be seen would cause many more problems and that would be seen as interfering with the ways of mankind. Keeping watch where the crew went to, knowing all the time if they reached the stones their capture by the humans would result in gunfire and that would risk damage to the stones.
     “There ought to be a law against that you know.”
Ka-im was so worried about what might happen she hadn’t been concentrating on where she was, or what she was doing, she was surprised at hearing a voice near her.
     “Do not be worried about revealing yourself or about interfering in the ways of man don’t be concerned. I said that I owe you one, so this is it,” said Kal-na, Kaim looked to him and felt glad.
About to reassure her some more Kal-na heard the massive rolls of thunder cascade over the land.
     “But the skies are clear, why can I hear the thunder,” said Kaim.
     “Because that wasn’t just thunder, mixed between the thunder in a way that would mask his words of wisdom to me, so those down there will not hear him speak or know that he has spoken.
He said I’m only to do what has to be done, and not to enjoy myself, too much,” said Kal-na.
He faced Ka-im and smiled to her. “See ya soon.”
     Kal-na jumped off his unicorn and dropped as a ball of red light to the ground the sound made as he hit the ground shattered any peace the police, the bomber crew or the army had found. Kal-na stood up in the middle of the field as the light around her faded, she looked at the bomber crew. The police and the army broke cover, they stared in disbelief. PC Dawes looked to the sky. He wondered where it had come from. Kal-na screeched loudly, for no reason other than to cause fear to the bomber crew. Kal-na faced the stones of the stone circle, then turned about to stare directly at the bomber crew.
     “That is as far as you go, I will not allow you to pass ever.”
The area lit up like day around them so the army could see each of them. Kal-na’s form began to change, as a ball of fire spread around her both arms spread wide as the skin appeared to drop and a glistening sinewy skin like leather formed wings. With talons at the ends of those wings her eyes became glowing pits of deep red that glinted in her light. Kal-na floated upright toward the airmen, they vanished as she stood before them. Kal-na grinned.
     Kal-na rose up to the dark sky to her unicorn that still flew next to Ka-im.
     “That was fun, guess who’ll get the blame not that he minds. Come on Ka-im, we’d better find the rest of them.”
     “The what, who?” asked Ka-im.
     “The other aircraft, they were sent to sink a ship that carried plans of a bomb. Also that one of the planes was to land near Bath for those people to go and capture the Haruspex stone. The Gestapo thought it would help with their weapon, what they had was no more than a magnet,” said Kal-na, “We are to leave them, what those others have it’s of no use to them and now it won’t be. What was there in that cell was to bring more vampires close, but they needed one to be a catalyst. When the witches wanted to send Hitler’s army away, it was only a coincidence. The army did go to the east, not to the Russian front as thought, they wanted to capture another vampire, but the harsh winter played against them. From my side it was silly, such a laugh really,” said Kal-na, “Using what God had made to attract them. God made it for me to kill all vampires drawn to it; so all that time the Gestapo collected that occult, I knew they’d gain nothing.”
     “But knowing that all that time, I wish you would have told us,” said Ka-im.
     “Maybe, but I made a choice, nothing was said because of the traitor. So they’ll lose the war, not by what was done. Though I do think it strange that humans rely on artifacts, whether from our side or his they could never really know why those items were made, or understand why. Still, I’m glad they did,” said Kal-na. 
She looked to Ka-im with a smile.
     “Give them fifty years or more to get over this, then I will return, no doubt by then the reasons why this happened will have been made clear.”   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version