Author Topic: Recommended resources  (Read 4478 times)

Chrissey_TGE

• Head of ficticious content
  • Administrator
  • The Eternal Optimist Rises
    • View Profile
Recommended resources
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:17:54 pm »
Read or seen anything good about the craft of writing?

Books, blogs, videos, add anything you've come across with a few comments on what you liked about it and how it was helpful.

Chrissey_TGE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended resources
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:59:55 pm »
Okay, so to get started, here are a couple of books I found very helpful when I first started out:

How Not to Write a Novel by Mittlemark and Newman

This book is worth reading for its entertainment value alone. Clear, understandable advice is delivered in concise chunks, with highly amusing examples. I've found the way each snippet of advice (of which there are 200) is given a short, memorable title has made it easy to remember and recall.

Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne and King

This one is a lot more serious but I guarantee you it will help you improve your writing. It isn't just the quality of the explanations but the detail in the examples which makes this book so clear in its message. It does get a bit heavy handed with its rules in places, but so long as you don't rely on getting all your information from one place you should be able to pick out what works best for you.

And one blog post which sums up a topic with a lot of conflicting advice in a very succinct and witty way...

Dialogue by Tony Nolan (a guest blog post on The Feckless Goblin)

A whole heap of advice on dialogue mechanics and content in a short blog post. Check out the rest of the posts on the blog for more on Horror and Dark Fiction.

Right, that's all for today, I'll dig up some more to add soon.

Chrissey_TGE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:45:25 pm »
If you're worried about falling into malicious hands, check out Writer Beware, a watchdog/scam busting group dedicated to unmasking those unscrupulous publishers and other nefarious types:

Website - http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/

Blog page - http://accrispin.blogspot.com/

They also have lots of information on what to look out for when considering a publisher publishing and how to tell when, while not scams, they may not be looking to cut you a fair deal.

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:11:58 am »
For the budding writer or the experienced author, a wealth of helpful information can be gained from The Specusphere.com

Chrissey_TGE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:14:22 pm »
If you're looking for somewhere to get feedback on your work, consider joining a writing group. There are lots of online groups out there including many on facebook.

One excellent site is Critique Circle

They award credits for giving feedback to others which you can then spend on posting your own work. They also have in browser systems for writing your critiques.

Chrissey_TGE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:53:32 am »
Some web articles on plot and structure:

Three Act Plot Structure – A basic introduction to the three act structure and links to more advice.

Elements of a Novel – Structure and Plot – This article has some good emphasis on character conflict and the relationship between plot and character, plus some good diagrams if you like visual aids.

Classic story structure begins with plotAdam Sexton – A look at plotting in a slightly different way as an alternative to the three act structure concept.

And also a book recommendation:

Story Structure ArchitectVictoria Lynn Schmidt – A thorough look at plot structure and all the many devices you can use. (Also available for Kindle)

Chrissey_TGE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:28:32 pm »
A short sweet blog post on that tricky little piece of punctuation, the ellipsis:

http://thewritepractice.com/how-to-use-an-ellipsis-correctly

As a reformed ellipses addict I feel it is my duty to try and help prevent the abuse of the harmless triple period.

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
Site for aspiring scriptwriters (moved from 'Suggestions?')
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 02:10:38 am »
A place that may prove to be helpful for any aspiring scriptwriters is www.thestorydepartment.com/
There is a wealth of information there.

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 11:50:12 pm »
This is mainly for Australian folk, but there is a lot of useful info. So, if you are interested or curious try typing for this site.
www.flickerfestfilmmaker.com/

Maidenscombe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 03:13:14 am »
How to create that feeling of nervousness, that the place is scary.

One of the scripts I am writing at the moment will be a scary one, I've never done one that is meant to be scary before, does anyone have any tips?

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 12:07:42 am »

Honestly? Just say it's scary.

I mean, you can add detail if you have specific ideas, or feelings. But it's a script, it needs to tell the director what *he* needs to convey. That it can be done in a lyrical, effective way is fine and can be good but ultimately a good script also needs to be clear about what needs to be presented.

- Scarecrow

Readgill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 10:41:44 am »

Honestly? Just say it's scary.

I mean, you can add detail if you have specific ideas, or feelings. But it's a script, it needs to tell the director what *he* needs to convey. That it can be done in a lyrical, effective way is fine and can be good but ultimately a good script also needs to be clear about what needs to be presented.

- Scarecrow

Good advice scarecrow. I'll consider it for my new script. Thanks.