Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 4369 times)

Rich

• Puts the boom in your boomstick
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Great Escape
What are you reading?
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:51:00 pm »
Quite a sensible question: what book are you currently reading, or have just read? And what did you think of it?

I've just finished 'American Gods: Author's Preferred Text edition' by Neil Gaiman. Overall, a very good book, although if you have to put it down for some reason it can get a little difficult to get back into. The version I read did have some minor pacing issues, but I feel that may have something to do with it's extended nature (in the opening blurb he comments that this edition is '12,000 words longer than the one that won all the awards'). Also, you'd be best off with a good understanding of mythology before you start. It took a while for me to get through, but I definitely think it was worth the time.

Now, I'm onto 'Count Zero' by William Gibson which is the second in his 'Sprawl' trilogy of books. The first one, 'Neuromancer', was an excellent read (even if half the words in it were made up). This one is a little harder to keep in with, but we'll see how it goes.

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:45:48 pm »
Alas, despite being such dedicated reader when I was younger, all the time I was playing in bands and running the studio, while I know I read loads of books on the science and art of recording and mixing, I failed to read any fiction! 

I did briefly return to reading about two years ago when my wife bought me an E-reader - but I've been lazy since the initial excitement!  Last books I read were a biog about Quentin Tarrentino and 'Rebel without a Crew' - an autobiographical account about how the film director Robert Rodriguez managed to fund his first feature film (which was mental!) 

As for fiction, while I was staying with my little one in hospital recently I finally resolved to actually attempt to read Lord of the Rings.  I forced myself to read The Hobbit when I was quite young, but really struggled to get to grips with it and its always put me off reading LOTR.  Well, I'm still slowly working my way through it, I believe I'm some 250 pages into Fellowship of the Rings, Frodo has only just left the Shire and I am frankly stunned at how much the films chop out, and the extended timeline of the book.  I've been told that its probably best to skip a lot of the verse and poetry, that Tolkien don't half ramble on a bit! 

Chrissey_TGE

• Head of ficticious content
  • Administrator
  • The Eternal Optimist Rises
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:35:34 pm »
I'm working my way through a friend's draft novel at the moment. When I'm done with that I'm planning to move onto Hunger Games. If what everyone has told me is true I'll probably be through  that in a couple of days, then I'll have to think of what to read next.

Scarecrow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:16 pm »

Reading both "Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War" and "The Fifth Elephant". The former is a large hardback and thus only gets read whilst at home / in bed.

- Scarecrow

Chrissey_TGE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:41:17 pm »
Read The Hunger Games cover to cover in one day  :-[
Now I'm catching up on some of Rachel Caine's YA vampire books - Bite Club and Last Breath.

mysticjim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:46:30 am »
Returning to this thread after some time - I briefly got my reading momentum back when I was staying with my little one in hospital just after Xmas and had some time on my hands, but now normal service has resumed - I really do not have time to read.  However, I've done three audio books within the last month or so, literally just while travelling to and from work, sometimes while doing something mundane like washing up, or just generally on the way to somewhere.  I've got through Neuromancer by William Gibson (the definitive Cyberpunk novel, inspiration of the Matrix, and the book that coined the phrase 'cyberspace'), The Variable Man by Philip K Dick (an early short novella, primitive by the authors later standards in terms of story and development, but a good indicator of the themes that would later become a staple of his writing),  and Mercenary by Mack Reynolds - a very obscure short sci-fi novella, like The Variable Man, written in the 1950's - generally poor/naive imagining of a bizarre future, but with one or two interesting distopian themes that made it an enjoyable yarn at least.

Am currently listening through Martian Timeslip, a later Philip K Dick Novel, from 1964.  Am about two thirds of the way through, and as with a lot of the authors longer works, its packed with those themes that would come dominate his work - distopian mega-cities, overpopulation, corrupt institutions of authority (much like the setting in Bladerunner), precognition(seeing the future, a common thread in his books, but probably popularised by the adaptation of Minority Report) - and the issue that blighted his own life, that of mental illness, particularly schizophrenia, although to my immense surprise, Autism is also investigated in a primitive way.  I expect I'll have finished the book by the end of the week, but where I am currently I wouldn't bet on a happy ending for any of the main protagonists! 

So, this raises the question, do you guys count audiobooks as proper reading, or is it cheating?  Given the time I would love to physically read, although I've never been someone who could claim to have read a book in a day, but I'm simply finding audiobooks fit in better with my lifestyle!

Chrissey_TGE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 12:37:45 am »
I would say ebooks count. You certainly wouldn't tell a blind person that they'd never read a book just because they listen to them instead. It's only a shame a lot of audio books are abridged.

Do you get downloads or listen on CD?

I've just read The Maze Runner by James Dashner, a YA adventure that was refreshingly free of angsty romance. Definitely a nice easy and enjoyable read. Now I need to go buy parts 2 and 3 in the series.